FUCK YOU, GAWKER.
Gawker is crowdsourcing TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS to pay off the drug dealers who have a video that allegedly shows the mayor of my city smoking crack.
And I think everyone in this city should ask - How DARE you?
Let me talk to you a second about drugs, criminality, poverty, gangs and guns. I was a reporter for years - and they’re all related. One big criminal family. The gangs, the guns - it all comes from drugs.
Gawker wants to write these criminals a cheque for more money than most of us can imagine having access to in our lifetime. And not a cheque of their money - of *yours*.
All you who bitch about taxes, who need public health care, who are on a waitlist to see a doctor, who work day in and day out, who work hard in crap jobs that don’t pay well - you, joe citizen, who have never broken a law in your life - they’re asking YOU to give this huge amount of money to a group of people who are a violent plague on my city, who risk the lives of both addicts and innocent bystanders on a regular basis.
Who do you think is shooting up our famous shopping mecca, The Eaton’s Centre? Or around it?
I’d like to know how Gawker would explain handing over this enormous sum of money to the parents, family and loved ones of Jane Creba, the teen gunned down on Boxing Day. Or Connor Stevenson, the kid who took a bullet to the head when there was a gangstyle shootemup in the foodcourt. The kid who is alive, miraculously, and walking around with shrapnel in his head.
My tax dollars go to putting these fuckers, these drug dealers, these gangbangers, in prison. My tax dollars go to keeping kids who are raised in poverty out of their hands. My tax dollars go to rescuing the teenage prostitute from the streets.
I work in public policy. We currently have less than what we need to currently maintain public services in my province. For the last year I’ve spent most of my working hours shutting things down to save money.
Cutting the extras… trying to save things like cancer care and community psychiatric services and assistance to people with disabilities. There is no public money anywhere right now.
Do you - gawker editors, managers, owners - have ANY IDEA what I could do with $200K? Do you know what kind of lifesaving research that could pay for? Do you know how much fresh fruit that could put in elementary schools in our impoverished neighborhoods?
Rob Ford may or may not have smoked crack. There is a video in the hands of the people who are involved in ripping my city apart. And instead of turning it over, like good law abiding citizens, they want TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS.
And Gawker thinks you should give it to them - and so far, a bunch of you have donated.
This rampant stupidity has only managed to elicit one base emotion in me that I can only express by saying - to Gawker and to each one of you who has donated -
Fuck you all. And go to hell.
**Update… well, this has gone all over the place. Off the top, this is not a condemnation of people who use drugs. This isn’t about what you do with your own money or with your own dealer. This is about media ethics, extortion, and social costs.
But, please note, if you’re going to email me to unload vitriol, please first read the legal definition of extortion. Then, maybe google “social costs of drug abuse”, including costs for hospital treatment for overdose, harm reduction programs, safe injection sites, intimate partner violence as a result of drugs… just for starters… get your calculator out and add up the numbers… have a good read and look around… and *then* go ahead and holler at me. You have the right to donate to this shitshow, and the right to dump on me, but informed dumping is appreciated.
I am more interested in calling out the media “brain trust” that thought this was a good idea.
And, to underscore… I don’t need a video to tell me that our mayor is a bottomless jam-jar of idiocy.
**Next Update: Apparently Gawker cannot find the
bastard gang thugs… erm, Upstanding Members of Our Community to give them the ransom “crowdfunding” you all so generously donated. I do love me some schadenfreude. Has someone checked the court dockets?
- kostiukwilliams likes this
- alovelyallure reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- pottsie800 reblogged this from leighhimel and added:
- gretzkyfresco reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- gretzkyfresco likes this
- tedesco reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- tedesco likes this
- luckygirlchronicles reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- finehamabounds reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- finehamabounds likes this
- hubbell reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- ethicsprof likes this
- alex-illest likes this
- whenthewordsyouwantareoutofreach likes this
- gbogusz reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- gbogusz likes this
- noahyork likes this
- leighhimel reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- devilfighter reblogged this from rosalindrobertson and added:
- lipstickbear reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- perryking reblogged this from rosalindrobertson and added:
- stephaniecloutier likes this
- ardenstreet likes this
- paulalukey likes this
- story-seeker likes this
- fuckvanessab reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- nitehawkxx reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- erislaughs reblogged this from nocarebear and added:
- theblueprint likes this
- particleb0red reblogged this from nocarebear and added:
- dougestey likes this
- nocarebear reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- clarehitchens reblogged this from rosalindrobertson and added:
- gabrielmansour likes this
- misskitty-79 reblogged this from rosalindrobertson and added:
- lady-ink-slinger reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- lady-ink-slinger likes this
- colinmedley likes this
- latinoheat27 likes this
- loveisconfusionissex reblogged this from amberxxx
- loveisconfusionissex likes this
- amberxxx reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- mtvee likes this
- xoxjustabitofpixiedust reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- highlightergirl likes this
- sethish reblogged this from rosalindrobertson
- lbuis likes this
- ectsasy likes this
- tillandsia-collection likes this